[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Wed Jun 18 09:11:34 CDT 2008

Hi gang... My laptop has a Debian variant (Ubuntu 8.04) and its ethernet
card is working properly. In my home network everything works great. But
on-site at one of my clients everything works great except that I cannot
connect to the internet using a hostname but I can connect using an IP
Address. Any ideas on getting the hostname lookup to work?  When testing
in Mozilla Firefox I used as my ip "http://206.190.60.37" which points
to a "Yahoo" info page.  I have a 2nd laptop here w/ windows on it and
all works correctly. I compared linux networking info (using "ifconfig
and route -nee") and matched that against WinXP (using "ipconfig /all").

Thanks for any insight.

~Jaret