[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jun 18 10:55:29 CDT 2008

jaret wrote:

> Hi gang... My laptop has a Debian variant (Ubuntu 8.04) and its ethernet
> card is working properly. In my home network everything works great. But
> on-site at one of my clients everything works great except that I cannot
> connect to the internet using a hostname but I can connect using an IP
> Address. Any ideas on getting the hostname lookup to work?

Use a DNS server?

Maybe set up your own caching resolver on your laptop, and point to
127.0.0.1 as your primary nameserver, so that no matter where you go you
should hopefully always get a working nameserver?

>                                                            When testing
> in Mozilla Firefox I used as my ip "http://206.190.60.37" which points
> to a "Yahoo" info page.  I have a 2nd laptop here w/ windows on it and
> all works correctly. I compared linux networking info (using "ifconfig
> and route -nee") and matched that against WinXP (using "ipconfig /all").

Sounds like your Linux laptop may not be honoring the DHCP settings that it
telling it what your local nameservers are.  But that's just a guess.