[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:19:35 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:01 AM, jaret <jaret at aberlorn.com> wrote:
> Good try but resolv.conf looks good... however the network admin thinks the
> problem is my laptop has ip6 protocols rather than ip4, which is what the
> windows-based DNS is on. Does that sound about right?  If it does, are there
> any commands I could run to add support fairly easily?
>
> In Ubuntu, my Network Settings, Tab Hosts, had these entries for ip6 (and
> none for ip4)
> ::1   ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0  ip6-localnet
> ff02::0  ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1  ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2   ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3  ip6-allhosts

I found this site while Googliing for "ubuntu 8.04 ipv6" ---
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebBrowsingSlowIPv6IPv4

There are 3-4 fixes required to turn off ipv6 completely.
For most people the first 3 work. For some of us the 4th fix is required. YMMV
The 4th fix is under "Instructions for Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)" in
the URL above.
It adds the line "install ipv6 /bin/true" to /etc/modprobe.d

This may not be your problem. These fixes are primarily for slow Web browsing.
Failure to resolve host names can be caused by other things.