[SATLUG] U want some Wine with that

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:27:21 CDT 2008

I had always believed that the name Wine had originally meant 'WINdows
Emulator', and later changed to 'Wine Is Not an Emulator'... but I was wrong
about the first acronym.

Here's a clip from the FAQ at winehq.org:

"1.10. Why do some people write WINE and not Wine?

They are using the acronym "Wine Is Not an Emulator", the original name for
the project. While recursive acronyms are clever, there really is no point to
the capital letters. They look ugly, so please use the simpler, current name
of the project: Wine. It's what we use.

1.11. Is Wine an emulator? There seem to be disagreement.

There is a lot of confusion about this, particularly caused by people getting
wine name wrong and call it WINdows Emulator.

When users think of an emulator, they tend to think of things like game
console emulators or virtualization software. This is the wrong way to think
about Wine - Wine runs Windows applications in essentially the same way
Windows does. Because Wine is just a native Unix substitute for the
components of Windows, here is no inherent loss of speed due to "emulation"
when using Wine, nor is there a need to open Wine before running your
application.

That said, Wine can be thought of as a Windows emulator in much the same way
that Windows Vista can be thought of as a Windows XP emulator; both allow you
to run the same applications by translating system calls in much the same
way. Setting Wine to mimic Windows XP is not much different from setting
Vista to launch an application in XP compatibility mode.

There are a few things that makes wine more than just an emulator.
Sections of Wine can be used on Windows. Some virtual machines use Wine's
implementation of Direct3D, which works based on OpenGL, on Windows rather
than truly emulate 3D hardware.
Winelib can be used for porting windows application source code to other
operating systems that Wine supports to run on any processor even processes
that neither Windows or the Emulator bit of Wine supports.

"Wine is not just an emulator" would be a more correct name. Thinking of wine
as just an emulator is really forgetting about the other things it is. Wine
emulator is really just a loader that allows windows binaries to be loaded
and interfaced with the Wine API replacement for porting applications
across."