[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Wed Jun 18 12:37:25 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Use a DNS server?
> Maybe set up your own caching resolver on your laptop, and point to
> as your primary nameserver, so that no matter where you go
> you should hopefully always get a working nameserver?
What is the purpose of pointing to my loopback ( as the
primary nameserver?  I think I see where you are going with this,
though. Let me try to phrase in my own words.  A caching resolver would
be more of a band-aid than a total fix.  Since my laptop can't
communicate with the local network's DNS Server, I wouldn't be able to
get hostname-ip resolution for computers on the local network. But a
caching-only DNS resolver on my laptop would give me resolver info to
the DNS on the internet that I specify using an IP address. That should
allow me to google again.