[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Jun 18 14:07:27 CDT 2008

jaret wrote:

>> I might have missed this previously but, whats in /etc/resolv.conf ?
>> If your system is grabbing an IP via DHCP you might wanna check to
>> make sure nameservers are being provided.
>>
>> Florian
>
> My resolv.conf is good. The network admin came over and we looked at
> it together and did different ping tests. I can ping the IP of other
> computers in the network. It's just the windows-dns server that
> doesn't communicate with my linux laptop.

just for reference, Jaret... my resolv.conf points to the ip address of
the domain name server.  There are two lines that are something like:

domain hostname.ext
nameserver umerical.ip.address.to.hostname.ext (ie: 192.168.1.1)

you could point it to 4.2.2.1  -  I don't remember who that belongs to,
but it's a nameserver.