[SATLUG] Linux Client DNS Hostname Lookup Problem (reverse dns)

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Wed Jun 18 14:29:01 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 14:07, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> just for reference, Jaret... my resolv.conf points to the ip address of
> the domain name server.  There are two lines that are something like:
>
> domain hostname.ext
> nameserver umerical.ip.address.to.hostname.ext (ie: 192.168.1.1)
>

> you could point it to 4.2.2.1  -  I don't remember who that belongs to,
> but it's a nameserver.

4.2.2.1 belongs to Level3 Communications
4.2.2.2 and 4.0.0.53 are also open Level 3 DNS resolvers.

Also keep in mind those IPs will obviously only work if the network
you're on isn't blocking outbound DNS queries (which is sometimes the
case).

bash-prompt:~$ whois 4.2.2.1

OrgName:    Level 3 Communications, Inc.
OrgID:      LVLT
Address:    1025 Eldorado Blvd.
City:       Broomfield
StateProv:  CO
PostalCode: 80021
Country:    US

NetRange:   4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255
CIDR:       4.0.0.0/8
NetName:    LVLT-ORG-4-8
NetHandle:  NET-4-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.LEVEL3.NET
NameServer: NS2.LEVEL3.NET
Comment:
RegDate:
Updated:    2004-06-04

OrgAbuseHandle: APL8-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Abuse POC LVLT
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-877-453-8353
OrgAbuseEmail:  security at level3.com

OrgTechHandle: ARINC4-ARIN
OrgTechName:   ARIN Contact
OrgTechPhone:  +1-800-436-8489
OrgTechEmail:  arin-contact at genuity.net

OrgTechHandle: TPL1-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Tech POC LVLT
OrgTechPhone:  +1-877-453-8353
OrgTechEmail:  ipaddressing at level3.com

JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */