[SATLUG] Quick tip: 64bit Firefox and Flash

Jonathan Hull masterr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:55:15 CDT 2008

I thought I would share a little trick I found the other day.

For those of you who run a 64-bit distro and run the 64-bit version of
Firefox with the Flash plugin inside nspluginwrapper (Ubuntu
Fiesty/Hardy installs it this way) you can independently kill Flash
when it dies and keep Firefox running.

Next time Flash has one of it's hissy fits and freezes up just run the
command "killall -9 nspviewer.bin" and it will kill Flash but keep
Firefox running. Refresh the page and you have Flash back again. Just
be aware that it will also kill of any other plugins currently running
via nspluginwrapper such as JAVA.

Works quite well on the one system I have that is 64bit. I even put a
launcher up on my gnome panel due to how often Flash likes to go tits
up.

Anyway, hope that helps.

-Jon