[SATLUG] Just Wondering

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Jun 18 17:42:19 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM, John Kirby <johnrkirby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop yesterday, and I'm just curious if any of
> you have installed a Linux distro on this box.
>
> Ubuntu and OpenSUSE don't like the screen resolution, I haven't checked out
> any other flavors of Linux on it yet.

I assume that "doesn't like" means that graphics work but it LLS (Looks Like
S%#t).  What I have found is that is usually related to X using VESA drivers
rather than the driver specific for the card (try http://en.opensuse.org/ATI),
once that driver is properly installed and X is restarted with the driver
loaded you can then redefine the resolutions to WXGA (1280x800).

Once the new (and proprietary) ATI drivers are installed and configured for
X (think aticonfig --initial and aticonfig --resolution=0,1280x800).  I am
sure that it will work.

HTH,
jp