[SATLUG] RR blocking port 21 & 80?

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Jun 18 23:51:47 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 11:43:42 pm Zeb Fletcher wrote:
> They do block port 80 in residental service, it seems to be hit and miss
> though with some people. As for FTP I'm not sure about, though you will
> probably get a half dozen or som e-mails explaining why you shouldn't use
> FTP and go  with SFTP or SCP .

One trick that you can do to host a web site at home is to use DNS to serve
both the IP and the alternate port together.

It's a little know fact that most DNS daemons can look-up anything and serve
anything.  BIND (at least) can literally look up album names and return ISBN
numbers if you wanted it to (locally of course.. not on the qualified net
rom "." down).  But likewise you can also have it legally look up
www.example.com and an A record direct traffic to 72.177.239.344:8080.
Easy breezy. :)

Tweeks
(I'm sure Brad will have something advanced and verbose about this topic ;)