[SATLUG] RR blocking port 21 & 80?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jun 19 00:56:03 CDT 2008

On 6/18/08, Zeb Fletcher wrote:

>  They do block port 80 in residental service, it seems to be hit and miss
>  though with some people. As for FTP I'm not sure about, though you will
>  probably get a half dozen or som e-mails explaining why you shouldn't use
>  FTP and go  with SFTP or SCP .

The thing about RR is that they are a crazy-quilt of dozens of
different cable providers that have been bought up over the years,
and each provider in each area had different rules about what was
allowed and what wasn't.  In many cases, they have not made any
attempt to change any of the local rules, so what works with RR in
one area may not work with RR in another area.

That's why it's hit or miss.