[SATLUG] DDRmemory cooling

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 09:30:45 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 01:26 -0500, Geoff wrote:
> herb cee wrote:

> > I want to stuff all 3 slots with dbl-sided, so absolutely I want to
> > cool these 3 modules. (?Right now I HAVE RAM-0 STUFFED-dbl-sided. I
> > have Ram-1 filled w 256mb so what is recommended by actual experience?)

> seems I remember reading somewhere that /swap should be around half of
> your RAM.  That just doesn't sound right, but my swap size is around
> 256mb and I've got a total of 512mb of ram.  (*shrug*)  someone around
> here knows.

I guess that depends on how memory intensive your applications are.  On
older laptops, running a low-footprint window manager like openbox,
blackbox, or xfce, I allot as much swap space as I have RAM, or 1 to 1.

On my Linux servers, Oracle Applications Server won't even install if I
have less than 1 to 1 of swap, but on anything with less than 4 GB RAM,
I give twice the amount of swap that I have of RAM, especially on my Red
Hat Enterprise Linux servers.  I have a couple smaller servers running
Scientific Linux in production, one with a Xeon 64 processors and the
other with an Athlon 64 processor, and both of them are doing just fine
running Oracle 10g with 1 to 1 of swap to RAM.

Al Castanoli