[SATLUG] DDRmemory cooling

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 19 12:55:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:55:41 -0500, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

>> Personally, I wouldn't think that RAM draws enough current to heat up
>> what warrants the needs of any special cooling, Herb.
>
>It does.  The three biggest failures seen in most servers are hard drives,
>power supplies, and RAM.  The first two are typically due to heat built up
>caused by large amounts of current being used or physically rotating media,
>but RAM tends to fail for similar reasons -- precisely because no one ever
>seems to think that they need to cool their memory properly.

It's too bad the BTX design (successor to ATX) didn't succeed in the marketplace. It
rearranged the processor, memory, and a few other items to improve airflow and heat
dissipation. Of course rackmount servers don't have to follow the commodity desktop
standard and generally have better ways of dealing with heat, but they also expect
properly cooled air coming in.

Looks like either way one must throw money at the problem. (Well, one could underclock and
do other things to avoid generating the heat in the first place, but that seems really
un-American.)  --Don

--
A computer is a hole in your desk you pour money into.