[SATLUG] DDRmemory cooling

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Jun 19 14:14:41 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>
>> seems I remember reading somewhere that /swap should be around half of
>> your RAM.  That just doesn't sound right, but my swap size is around
>> 256mb and I've got a total of 512mb of ram.  (*shrug*)  someone around
>> here knows.
>
> The rule has always been that swap should be two to three times as
> large as the amount of physical RAM you have in the box, but when you
> have machines with 64-256GB of RAM, maybe that no longer makes sense.
> But so long as you've got something like 4GB of RAM or less, I'd
> certainly follow that rule.
>
>> Personally, I wouldn't think that RAM draws enough current to heat up
>> what warrants the needs of any special cooling, Herb.
>
> It does.  The three biggest failures seen in most servers are hard
> drives, power supplies, and RAM.  The first two are typically due to
> heat built up caused by large amounts of current being used or
> physically rotating media, but RAM tends to fail for similar reasons
> -- precisely because no one ever seems to think that they need to cool
> their memory properly.

Yeah the RAM slots sit sideways to the air flow and the 256mb stick gets
fairly hot but the 1gb stick get too hot to handle, I know they make
something called a heat spreader for RAM modules, If anyone has
experience with this I would appreciate knowing. I already have replaced
the standard CPU cooling fan with a case fan and added a second case fan
in the front pulling air in.  I am thinking of rigging a fan to blow
down on the RAM slots, I have a fan. It will of course add to the watts
but should keep the RAM cooled. Temp got to 104 earlier in the week and
the machine stayed alive. It's 101 as i type this.
herb