[SATLUG] 13 year old needs computer to run Linux

Storey Clamp storey at clamp.ws
Sun Jun 22 08:27:13 CDT 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
> Hello, the girl I met has a 9 year old brother who is very interested in computers and programming. He's created websites. He asked me a few questions. His family shares one computer, so I thought if anyone would give away an old p2 computer or even parts, he could have an older computer that would run Puppy Linux. If he gets parts, I can contribute many. I have a Gateway 2000 that quit working, but I'm sure there are a lot of resusable parts in it. I used to have to give it a good kick to make it continue booting and text to scroll on the screen when it was stuck at the Gateway 2000 logo. Despite all the cooling it had, the hardware was very unstable, not good for a server. Not everything can be bad in it. I suspect maybe the psu and/or the proc getting too hot since the heatsync has no fan on it by default.
>
> Chris

        My approach to kids "interested in computers" is to offer an
empty case and a box of loose parts.  If they ask if I have one already
put together, then I waste no more time on them.  If they seem intrigued
by the idea of learning how to put it together and loading software,
then I show them how, and make them do all the work.  If they are
especially interested, then I offer a stack of 4 gig scsi drives with an
adapter and teach them how to set up a Raid 5 array.
       I have lots of parts, and would be happy to assist.  You may
e-mail me at storey at clamp.ws

Storey Clamp