VMware won't compile for kernel (was: [SATLUG] Testing)

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 22 17:37:09 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 15:55 -0500, John D Choate wrote:
> After 5.5 years of using Linux (Mandrake/Mandriva), I have never compiled a
> kernel. I know it would be a good learning experience for me, but I've never
> found any other reason for doing it.

There's a vulnerability message out on kernels below that
requires some of us who maintain government computers to do a kernel
upgrade.  None of my RHEL or Scientific Linux servers have an .rpm
package high enough so I rolled one from scratch using from
kernel.org and it went pretty well.  The kernel HOWTO was removed from
the Linux Documentation Project but I found a pretty good one at

that got me through the build.

Now that my server's compliant with information assurance requirements,
VMware won't run on it, and that's what it was for.  Since nobody can
use it now, it should be really secure.  I tried vmware-any-any-115.tgz,
but even that did't work.

Al Castanoli