[SATLUG] Re: You almost never need to compile a kernel for RHEL/Fedora/CentOS (Was: VMware won't compile for kernel 2.6.26.7)

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Sun Jun 22 21:37:20 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 05:37:09PM -0500, Al Castanoli wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 15:55 -0500, John D Choate wrote:
> > After 5.5 years of using Linux (Mandrake/Mandriva), I have never compiled a
> > kernel. I know it would be a good learning experience for me, but I've never
> > found any other reason for doing it.
>
> There's a vulnerability message out on kernels below 2.5.25.6 that
> requires some of us who maintain government computers to do a kernel
> upgrade.  None of my RHEL or Scientific Linux servers have an .rpm
> package high enough so I rolled one from scratch using 2.5.25.7 from
> kernel.org and it went pretty well.  The kernel HOWTO was removed from
> the Linux Documentation Project but I found a pretty good one at

If it is based on RHEL then the fix is almost certainly in the kernel
RedHat sent you.  Read:

http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093

RedHat backports security fixes frequently and quickly.  What is the
CERT number of the thing you are worried about?

We can search the Changelog for the latest RedHat kernel or their web
site and probably find proof that the bug you are trying to compile away
is already gone.

--

Wayne Walker

wwalker at bybent.com                    Do you use Linux?!