[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Andy Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 23 14:25:36 CDT 2008

Where should the wireless driver reside in Ubuntu 6.06?

I have a generic PC with Win XP on one HD and Ubuntu on a 2nd HD.  The
wireless card is Encore ENLW1-G2; chip set Realtek 8185 (rev 20).  I
downloaded the driver and transferred it to Ubuntu, but I didn't have a
clue where to put it. I double clicked the tar ball and it appeared to
automagically unpack and go somewhere ... maybe nowhere.  So far, I've
wasted an inordinate amount of time on it w/o success.

Thanks,

Andy Pickens

P.S.  I surface every year or two, then disappear.  This time, I hope to
have time to get a working Linux system to substitute for XP.