[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Jun 23 17:10:53 CDT 2008

Andy Pickens wrote:
> Where should the wireless driver reside in Ubuntu 6.06?
>
> I have a generic PC with Win XP on one HD and Ubuntu on a 2nd HD.  The
> wireless card is Encore ENLW1-G2; chip set Realtek 8185 (rev 20).  I
> downloaded the driver and transferred it to Ubuntu, but I didn't have
> a clue where to put it. I double clicked the tar ball and it appeared
> to automagically unpack and go somewhere ... maybe nowhere.  So far,
> I've wasted an inordinate amount of time on it w/o success.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy Pickens
>
> P.S.  I surface every year or two, then disappear.  This time, I hope
> to have time to get a working Linux system to substitute for XP.

Andy, I upgraded from 6.06 to 7.10 and used the auto update just couple
weeks ago to 8.04 (8.04 is a LTS release same as 6.06 with 3 yrs) The
upgrade went total smooth and I have had no problems and the other
fellows are correct in saying many problems have been fixed and newer
drivers are included. I think in setting up a new Linux system to
replace XP you stand a much greater chance with 8.04.

However you will need to be connected in order to do that so I hope
someone more qualified than I can help you do that.
herb