[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Mon Jun 23 23:55:10 CDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:25:36 -0500
Andy Pickens <wg5o at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Where should the wireless driver reside in Ubuntu 6.06?
>
> I have a generic PC with Win XP on one HD and Ubuntu on a 2nd HD.
> The wireless card is Encore ENLW1-G2; chip set Realtek 8185 (rev
> 20).  I downloaded the driver and transferred it to Ubuntu, but I
> didn't have a clue where to put it. I double clicked the tar ball and
> it appeared to automagically unpack and go somewhere ... maybe
> nowhere.  So far, I've wasted an inordinate amount of time on it w/o
> success.

It looks like the method to getting your card to work is to use
ndiswrapper. You'll likely need to install it, then grab the
appropriate Windows driver. Where ever you download the file (say to
your desktop), if you right-click on the .zip file, you should have the
option to "Extract Here". A new folder will appear containing the
contents of the archive.

Once you have that, reference the ndiswrapper instructions:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,installation/

If you continue to have problems, please provide us some more
information regarding the driver you have, where you got it, the
version information, etc. Also, please tell us if you're getting any
kinds of errors. For more immediate gratification, you might want to
search the Ubuntu forums as I found lots of hits there when I googled
"dapper rtl8185".

Cheers,
Daniel