[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 53, Issue 69

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:28:33 CDT 2008

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:57:31 -0500
> From: "pixelnate at gmail.com" <pixelnate at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Re: Looking for a Linux Mentor
>        <satlug at satlug.org>
>
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 13:30 -0400, K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> > I am sure you seen my posts over ther past week or 2. I want to learn
> linux
> > at a greater depth including programming. I was a SAC student and plan to
> > return in the fall. However during the summer I m working on skills since
> > could not find an internship. I already understand command line basics
> and
> > some installation/configuration.
> > I have used Ubuntu, Puppy, Fedora and Suse Linux. Currently I have Open
> Suse
> > 11 on a Dell Optiplex GX150, PIII 400mhz, 512 MB mem, 20GB hard drive
> that I
> > am using as a desktop.
>

> Do you have any programming experience? Which languages? What are your
> ultimate goals for your computery experience? Are you looking to become
> a sysadmin or a web developer or a security guru?
>
> It's a little difficult to give advice without narrowing down your
> interests. But just about any computer related question you could ask
> can probably be answered here.
>

> ~Nate

 As for my Computing Ultimate goal : Unix/Linux Architect

Programming experience: C, C++, Java ME (some simple cell phone game),
DOS/NT Batch, Korn, Posix, BASH Shell, vbscript, javacript

Learning(in-progress) C#, Assembler, Java, Java FX, Perl and Python

Network: I used to be a LAN cable installer (cat 4, 5) I have setup small
LANs with Solaris and Windows NT/2003 Server.

So I do want to master technician/admin/engineer skills of LInux in order to
be a solution architect.

Device Drivers, Kernel modules, OS design, LDAP,
network integration/management, virtualization , web infrastructure,
databases

are the things I wish to learn more of. I want to start by managing Linux
desktops.

Reggie