[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 22:40:44 CDT 2008

Andy Pickens wrote:
> ifconfig -a
> .
> wlan0  Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:E7:43:90
>            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:15 Metric:1
>            Rx packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:80 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>            collisions:0 txqueulen:1000
>            Rx bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:4000 (3.9 Ki B)
>            Interupts:58 Nenirt: ffffc 2000003cc00.fffffc2000003cd00
> I hope I got that right; it is kind of labor intensive.

Close enough.  If you just did ifconfig -a > /tmp/somefilename, you could just
paste it into the message.

In any case, your driver is working.  Some systems don't use the wlan0 for
communication.  For instance, on my laptop, I have ath0, eth0, lo, and wifi0.
For my system, wifi0 and ath0 refer to the same interface and ath0 is used.

What other network devices are listed?

Also try 'iwlist wlan0 scan'  That should show you what wireless transmitters
the card sees.  If that doesn't work, try using other network interfaces.  If
it's not wireless, the result will be "Interface doesn't support scanning".

When I just tried it, I got three: "linksys", "bandg" and "BLFS".  Only one is
encrypted.  Guess which one is mine.  :)

You then connect to an unencrypted station with

iwconfig wlan0 essid 'linksys'

Using your own essid of course.  I just tried my neighbor's linksys and it
connected just fine.  Should I do that??  :) :)

Then you need to get an IP address with 'dhclinet wlan0'.  You may have dhcpcd
instead of dhclient, but I don't know that syntax.

After that try a ping to something that will respond like (a name
server) to see if you are connected.

The final step will be to automate things for your distro.  But lets get it
working manually before we tackle that. We may also want to explore encrypting
your wireless.

   -- Bruce