[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:14:29 CDT 2008

Andy Pickens wrote:
> I was thrilled to receive the detailed guidance and visions of success danced
> in my head ... but not for long:
> "What other network devices are listed?"
> eth0, eth1, sit0, and lo (local loopback, it says)

OK, we can ignore those.

> Unfortunately, "iwlist wlan0 scan" gives "no scan results."   The thing is
> the same card works fine with Windows XP.  My modem seems to be the only
> station in range, but link info (in XP) says both the link quality and signal
> strength are 100%.  Now what?

Recheck that the interface is up (ifconfig wlan0 up) and rerun iwlist.  If that
doesn't work, I don't know how to address the problem.

When I first got a wireless card, I researched the drivers and opted for a
madwifi based card (D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650).  Other than that, I don't have
experience with connection problems.  Hopefully, we can get other advice.

   -- Bruce