[SATLUG] Aspergers thoughts; real danger sociotism

Paul Elliott pelliott at io.com
Thu Jun 26 09:33:53 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 09:14:48PM -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On 6/25/08, Ernest De Leon wrote:
>
>>  Actually, if you read the last article I sent out about Asperger's and IT
>>  (which includes Linux) it really does have something to do with
>> Linux...how
>>  deep the tie is can be debated, but it can't be denied...
>
> You know, I have this suspicion that the only people who really care are
> the "Closet Aspergers" types that don't want anyone to know that they have
> this condition, or maybe they are annoyed at a subconscious level at
> hearing people talk about how their brain works, but they don't consciously
> recognize the way their brain actually works.

I tried to post this message before, but I don't think it got
thru somehow.

The real danger is sociotism.

The following was culled from Slashdot.

>The dangers of sociotism (Score:5, Funny) by Eugene O'Neil on Monday
>December 17, @12:55PM (#2715259) (User #140081 Info)
>

> Sociotism is a mental disorder characterised by an undue obsession
> with social interaction and eye contact, which often interferes with
> healthy interests such as computer programming and science fiction.
>
>Sociotistic people often band together in tightly-knit heirarchies,
>where social status is determined by subtle shifts in "body language"
>rather than skill or experience. Sociotistic children often play cruel
>tricks on their healthier playmates for no logical reason. They prefer
>brutal team-oriented games like football over healthy, abstract tests
>of individual merit, such as video games.
>
>Victims of sociotism of all ages tend to be less intelligent than
>healthy people. They are capable of learning skills that have an
>obvious and immediate short-term benifit, but profoundly lack the
>social independance and intellectual curiosity needed to explore new
>frontiers of knowledge. As a result, sociotistic people rarely succeed
>in feilds such as science or engineering, and when they do succeed in
>these feilds it is usually only in a managerial capacity.
>
>If you know anyone that fits the description of a sociotistic person,
>please pat them on the head in a sympathetic but condecending manner
>and tell them to get professional help for their obvious
>deficiencies. With any luck, we will some day discover powerful
>mind-altering drugs that will force these people to be as healthy and
>well-adjusted as we are.

It is unpricipled decisions made by those afflicted by sociotism
that is responsible for most of our problems today.

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
pelliott at io.com                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J