[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Andy Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 26 15:35:09 CDT 2008

a. Oops.  Did you set the IP addresses manually?  The IP address
127.x.x.x is always localhost the numbers after 127 are meaningless.
Try using 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x instead.

No.  I put in DHCP and left IP address, Subnet mask, & Gateway address
all blank.

b. Are you running your own DNS server at 172.16.0.1?

No.  That is the product of my confusion.  I have to find how to ID the
DNS, but that won't keep me form receiving, will it?  How do you find DNS?

c. Most routers for home systems use a 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 address
scheme. Your systems need to use the same address scheme as the router.
Usually this is done automatically with dhcp.

See above.  But, in XP, if I select Start, Run,cmd, and at the prompt
type, "ipconfig," it shows that both ethernet local adapters are
disconnected, & says:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:  gateway.2wire.net
    IP Address:  172.16.1.34
    Subnet Mask:  255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:  172.16.0.1

So, somehow, I picked that last one up & used it for DNS.

d.  You will need to get away from WEP.  It is not secure.  You need to
use WPA, but I recommend disabling encryption completely until you can
get a basic connection.  Then we can go back and secure it properly.

I seem to have a personal problem with this one.  I dug back and found
out how to do it, but the system rejects the password I have recorded.
My, my ...

Thanks for all the effort.  I hope you can stay with it till the darn
thing works.

Andy