[SATLUG] Xscreensaver problem

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 15:49:08 CDT 2008

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, John D Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 26 June 2008 13:50:38 Jeremy Mann wrote:
>>> It doesn't do anything but set the permissions of the DRI device. Its
>>> something like:
>> Ok, that sounds like what I've done before:
>> chmod 666 /dev/nvidia*
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I tried that but will do so again.
>
> If you're running udev, it will change after a reboot to whatever udev
> has the settings to. I *think* by setting it in the xorg.conf file, it
> will change it.

The only reference in the ubuntu udev rules sets the group to video.

KERNEL=="nvidia*",                      GROUP="video"

But the permissions on the nvidia devices are 660.

I think the easiest way would be to add the appropriate user to the vidio group.
  An alternative would be to add MODE="0666" to the above UDEV rule line.

   -- Bruce