[SATLUG] Xscreensaver problem

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:24:00 CDT 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 15:55:16 herb cee wrote:
> John D Choate wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 June 2008 13:50:38 Jeremy Mann wrote:
> >> It doesn't do anything but set the permissions of the DRI device. Its
> >> something like:
> >
> > Ok, that sounds like what I've done before:
> > chmod 666 /dev/nvidia*
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I tried that but will do so again.
>
> John I have same condition on this box before I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04
> have not tested since I got around it by setting saver to blank screen
> and turning power mgt to never never in System>Preferences>Screensaver>
> PowerManagement. I got tired of fighting the same power mgt lock-ups I
> had 3 yrs ago but I use this puter all the time it is powered on so I
> lose little tiny amount maybe. sometime later on I will see if the
> upgrade fixed this when it is 'nap time' LOL.
> herb

Thanks all for the suggestions... I will try to fix it this evening sometime,
maybe. My priority when I get home will be installation of the Geforce
8800-GTS I just got to replace the mediocre geforce-8500 in the new
machine :)
Hmm 128 stream processors on the new card vs. 16 stream processors on the
current card... think I'll notice a difference?? I'm guessing I will.