[SATLUG] Video Card Questions

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Jun 27 13:13:13 CDT 2008

Two things I would recomend is first upgrade your power supply to at
least a 500 watt. This is esspecially true if you want a card with some
horse power as there is often an additionall power cord just for you
video card.
 Second, now that ATI has been abought out by AMD, they have begun to
put out drivers for linux same day as windows drivers are available plus
they are open source (http://www.linux.com/feature/119049). Nvidia on
the other hand does support linux but their drivers are largely closed
source.  If you do decide to go with Nvidia I recommend that you stay
with the 8000 series.  Now that the 9000 series is out the 8000's are a
lot cheaper.  Furthermore I have not noticed all that much difference
between the 8800gtx and the 9800 gtx.

just my two cents
Todd