[SATLUG] Video Card Questions

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:56:27 CDT 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008 13:00:17 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I am looking to upgrade my video card and am confused by some of the
> terminology.  I'm sure someone on the list can help.
> What I have is a system with a 350 watt power supply and a PCI-Express
> slot. Overall, my system is fairly high end (3.2 GHz), but about 3 years
> old.
> My present card (NVidia Qutdro NV37GL) is capable of 1920x1200 analog and
> 1600x1200 digital, but I would like to run two 1920x1200 monitors via twin
> DVI connectors (or dual cards) as I get some horizontal ghosting using the
> analog setting.
> I do prefer nvidia as I am comfortable with the configuration for that
> card.
> Doe anyone have any suggestions or advice?
>    -- Bruce

Since you are currently using a Quadro card, are you using it for CAD or
(non-game) 3D rendering which will benefit from its advanced rendering
capabilities? Or will a gaming card work for what you want to do?

I used to run dual monitors on my old geforce FX-5700 card, followed by a
7300GS card. I was only using 1280x1024 on each monitor (max res). Both cards
did that job really well.... but both monitors had analog connections.
I'm not sure which card to start with for Dual-DVI 1920x1200.

For using dual-DVI, I suggest getting a GeForce 8 series card as previous
generation cards mostly had only 1 DVI plus 1 analog output. The 8800 or 8600
series, GT or GTS, would be most suggested

I just got an MSI 8800GTS which has dual DVI. Newegg has that card for $206
now. It is rather large, taking up 2 slots and I had to move my hard drives
to the next bay up to accommodate for it.

I hope your 350W PSU can handle your system with a recent model vid card.

If you need a workstation card, such as a Quadro, check these for which fits
purpose and budget. Most have dual-DVI:

Good luck