[SATLUG] Video Card Questions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:27:49 CDT 2008

John D Choate wrote:

> Since you are currently using a Quadro card, are you using it for CAD or
> (non-game) 3D rendering which will benefit from its advanced rendering
> capabilities? Or will a gaming card work for what you want to do?

Generally not gaming.  I use a lot of screen real estate for editing files,
running vmware, referencing programming APIs, browser, etc.

> I used to run dual monitors on my old geforce FX-5700 card, followed by a
> 7300GS card. I was only using 1280x1024 on each monitor (max res). Both cards
> did that job really well.... but both monitors had analog connections.
> I'm not sure which card to start with for Dual-DVI 1920x1200.
> For using dual-DVI, I suggest getting a GeForce 8 series card as previous
> generation cards mostly had only 1 DVI plus 1 analog output. The 8800 or 8600
> series, GT or GTS, would be most suggested
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106791921+1067928567&name=GeForce+8600+GTS
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106791921+1067924922&name=GeForce+8800+GTS
> I just got an MSI 8800GTS which has dual DVI. Newegg has that card for $206
> now. It is rather large, taking up 2 slots and I had to move my hard drives
> to the next bay up to accommodate for it.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325
> I hope your 350W PSU can handle your system with a recent model vid card.

NVidia suggests a 400W PS for a single GPU.  I wouldn't mind upgrading the power
supply, but I'm not sure if the Dell system I have will accept a standard PS.  :(

> If you need a workstation card, such as a Quadro, check these for which fits
> purpose and budget. Most have dual-DVI:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380449+1573938095+1573838112&name=PCI+Express+x16

PNY VCQFX4600-PCIE-PB Quadro FX4600 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
Ready SLI Supported Workstation Video Card - Retail  Your Price:$1,459.99

Oops.  :)

Yes, there are others that are less expensive.

Unfortunately, the more I look at specs, the more I get convinced that I would
need to upgrade the PS and I'm not sure that would be easy.  I did call Dell and
they don't have any larger PS units for my model. :(

   -- Bruce