[SATLUG] Looking for software

Travis Runty trunty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 20:56:24 CDT 2008

Here are some that I found at my favorite site (www.sourceforge.net)

Atleast you are not the only person with this idea/problem, however, doesnt
look they followed through with their ideas.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mfs-net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedycomm/

This might be along the lines of what you are looking for.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quixplorer/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filedrop/

This one looks really promising, GPL, and actively worked.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sifiex/

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Borries Demeler <
demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

> > Jeremy Mann wrote:
> >
> > > I've been asked to look for a web-based file sharing system for our
> > > users. What we want is basically a way for a user to upload a large
> > > document, like a grant proposal, and have an email sent to several
> > > addresses which would include in the body of the message a HTTP link
> > > to download the document. There are commercial services that provide
> > > this, but I'm curious if there is GPL code somewhere out there that
> > > does the same.
> >
> > Hmm.  ftp + mailx?  ;-)
> >
> > Seriously, if you can give us a bit more detail, especially the services
> > you're comparing against, we'll have a better idea of what you're asking
> for.
>
> We would like a GPL server package that allows us to do file sharing
> for large files. Bascially, we need the following functionality:
>
> 1. user uploads file to server.
> 2. user sets expiration on file
> 3. user selects file from server and enters one or more e-mail addresses
> 4. recipient(s) receives a link to download file
>
> The files on the server should be encrypted, when downloaded with the
> right key (embedded in link), file gets decrypted
>
> The files should be encrypted during download.
>
> If one provides for some sort of registration on the server, it should
> be possible to let the user see all files in their area, and delete them
> or set expirations on the files. When expired, the file is automatically
> deleted.
>
> The more transparent this whole thing can be done, the better. This
> should work for minimally literate users without a lot of support, i.e.,
> the pages need to be self-explanatory and any documentation needs to be
> short and easy to understand.
>
> The reason we need that is due to size restrictions on attachments,
> either on incoming mail or outgoing mail.
>
> Thanks, -Borries

Travis Runty
210.391.3949
www.travisrunty.com