[SATLUG] Texas Law

Leif Johnson leif at paisd.net
Fri Jun 27 20:34:04 CDT 2008

I just came across this. Am I now a criminal? I regularly investigate
computer problems on our school district's PCs and Linux servers.

"Under the new law enacted in 2007, Texas has put computer repair shops on
notice that they had better watch their backs any time they work on a
computer.  If a computer repair technician without a government-issued
private investigator's license takes any actions that the government
deems to be an investigation, they may be subject to criminal
penalties of up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine, as well as civil
penalties of up to $10,000.  The definition of investigation is very
broad and encompasses many common computer repair tasks."

Leif Johnson
(361) 749-1200 x. 316