[SATLUG] Looking for software

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jun 27 22:11:21 CDT 2008

On 6/27/08, Borries Demeler wrote:

>  The files on the server should be encrypted, when downloaded with the
>  right key (embedded in link), file gets decrypted

There are various WebDAV-based programs on various platforms that try
to make it as easy as possible to integrate with your desktop
programs, e-mail included.

There are even some e-mail systems that include their own
WebDAV-enabled attachment storage, so all you have to do is send the
e-mail with the attachment and the system is intelligent enough to
file the attachment off to the side and replace the actual file with
a link to the site where it can be downloaded, etc....  Zimbra is one
example of such a system, but I'm sure that there are others.

I'd start by looking for easy-to-use WebDAV clients on your platforms
of choice, and see where you can go from there.

More complex systems are available from companies like Xythos, where
you can set ACLs as to who can see which files, assign passwords to
files, and so much more.  But I wouldn't recommend this solution
off-the-bat, I would instead recommend that you try to find simpler
lighter-weight options that you investigate first.