[SATLUG] Texas Law

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 28 17:07:02 CDT 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:49:40 -0700 (PDT), Jennifer Van Gorkom <jennifervg at yahoo.com>
wrote:
>The law that the article seems to be talking about is 80(R) HB 2388.
>http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB02833F.htm
>
>If I read this right, tracking down what someone did to mess up their computer, or how it was hacked and by who would both be things I do on a regular basis that are totally normal in the computer world and would violate this law.

The Board[1] that enforces this section of law has a history of broad interpretations of
what constitutes licensed activities.

There is a list of recent opinions[2] by the Board that mentions computer services. Read
it carefully. Scroll down a bit and you'll find that your syslog may be an electronic
access control device that requires a license to install. Interpreting firewall logs
(anything beyond providing a raw data dump) seems to require an investigator's license.

The requirements in order to get licensed are also fun reading.

As for me, I just install Windows, which is well known to have no security at all. So I'm
clean, officer.  --Don

[1] Texas Private Security Bureau http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/
[2] http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/docs/psb_opin_sum.pdf

--
Not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.