[SATLUG] Texas Law

Enrique Sanchez Vela esanchezvela at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 15:41:41 CDT 2008

--- On Sat, 6/28/08, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:

> From: Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Texas Law
> Date: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 4:15 PM
> > And I thought the Texas legislature was smarter than
> that.
>
> Just curious but what state do you live in.  The Texas
> Legislature like
> any other legislative body is made up of blood sucking
> lawyers
> attempting to seek and advantage for themselves or their
> consituenties,
> which often is not thier constituents but their
> fundraisers.
> > I wonder how this affects commercial entities such as
> Geek Squad, and
> > Circuit City's Firedog. Theoretically, they could
> only employ Private
> > Investigators to do the work for them. I worked for
> them for a bit, and
> > I promise you, I'm not a PI.
> Theoretically it would affect them quite a lot.  In reality
> it seems
> that it doesn't affect them all that much.  Its one of
> those laws that
> is on the books to make it look like the our legislators
> are out their
> protecting your privacy.  Plus I would not be surprised
> that when you
> give your computer to Geek Squad they have you sign a
> release which
> allows them to skirt this law.
>
> Todd
>
> --

What about Rackspace, IBM and other big name companies full of unlicensed IT staff? what if the person is in Texas and the Computers in NY, Alabama, NC or even overseas?, what about the other way around?  does that apply too if the person is sitting in Florida, the server in California and the communication lines crosses Texas?

no wonder my employer wants me to move back to NY.

best regards,
enrique.