[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 01:31:06 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>  That's not really what I'd call good, constructive criticism. If there's
>  something specifically you have trouble with concerning openSUSE, ask
>  here and I'm sure at least one of us has encountered the same issue and
>  may be able to help you.

My praises for SuSE:
* LDAP, Active Directory, and Windows integration are top notch
* Looks very slick during/after installation
* Excellent 64-bit support

Here are my criticisms of SuSE:
* Lack of quality software packages
* Software repositories are slow
* Third-party software sources required to install many applications
(some without hashes/keys)
* SuSE assumes too much about you using the GUI tools if you have
graphics installed
* SuSE does not follow standard networking config files (name of file
is appended with MAC address?  wtf???)
* SuSE is a DVD installer, not a single CD Live/Installer combined
(requiring waste of bandwidth, and time)
* Lack of fast mirrors to download the ISO image(s)
* Laid off AppArmor developers after they created an exceptional
software package ... ridiculous!
* SuSE is owned by Novell, and Netware is dead.  They got into the
Linux space to fill that void and own a piece of the action...
* Someone I know who previously worked at SuSE told me something that
makes me doubt they have the will to provide a long-term commitment to
the distro...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen