[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat Mar 1 09:13:09 CST 2008

Robert Pearson wrote:
> I've heard many good things about Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS on this list and others.
> The goal is to move my sister from Windows 2000 to Linux.
> At the moment I have experience with Ubuntu but not PCLinuxOS.
> Is there anything that would give PCLinuxOS the edge over Ubuntu for
> this migration?
> Or vice-versa?
>
> I run openSUSE 10.3 (and love it) and Ubuntu 7.10.
> Ubuntu is very solid and reliable. I wish openSUSE had updates as fast
> as Ubuntu. They seem to be getting there.
> SuSE 8.2 to openSUSE 10.3 has come a long way on update and repository
> management.

Robert, have you played with the 3.01 Puppy yet, I just ordered 2 copies
sent to my friends in FL (cost $3.70) they are still stuck with dial-up
and I think the puppy's ability to run and maintain sessions stored on
the ntfs file system, or most any other file sys, without requiring
long, long downloads to support the initial install is a real winner.  I
am very light on the technical end, I liked the PCLinuxOS 2007 but have
only run one 3hr session on it and made no notes since I planned to run
"MiniMe" version just have not had the time yet. My general impression
was Ubuntu and PCL were about equal and i very much like Ubuntu I think
it is very close to a prime time distro.
> Strangely enough the biggest problem is replacing Outlook Express. My
> sister loves that program. I think it is junk.
> I tried to get her to use Gmail but she loves the Outlook Express
> "look and feel". Go figure.

I switched to Firefox long time ago while still a MSwin user and I
replaced it as the default mail client in Ubuntu. I find it has all the
features I want, the filtering is very good, perhaps she would like
using it?
herb