[SATLUG] 32 and 64 bit kernels

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 17:00:19 CST 2008

Can anyone experienced comment on my kernel idea?

Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote: I have checked for 64-bit drivers of course. The ones on the driver disk are only got Vista 64-bit only which isn't compatible with ndiswrapper. I then did a windows automatic hardware update thing in 64-bit xp for the the hardware. The driver I got from microsloth was extremely buggy and my wireless would fade in and out and lose connection constantly. It seems that they want me to switch over to Vista which will take a long time if I'm ever forced into it.

Kristian Erik Hermansen  wrote: On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Chris Lemire  wrote:
> I have a 64-bit Fedora 8 raid level 1 setup. Because I am using 64-bit, I cannot use the 32 bit windows driver for my wlan usb network adapter. How is it possible to have a 32 bit kernel, so that I can boot that up when I want to use wireless wlan, or can I run a 32 bit kernel in USL UserSpace Linux or 32-bit chroot with ndiswrapper in order to use a 32 bit windows driver with a 64-bit Fedora 8 kernel running my machine?

I would check for a 64-bit Windows driver first.  Also, I don't recall
if this is true, but I think I heard about another NDIS emulation
project that will take a 32-bit driver and allow it to work on 64-bit
kernels.  Don't quote me on that, but I swear I heard something about
it.  Perhaps it was not F/OSS though...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen