[SATLUG] 3d effects and ATi

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 1 18:56:48 CST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 01:48 -0600, Robert Pearson wrote:

> I've heard many good things about Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS on this list and others.
> The goal is to move my sister from Windows 2000 to Linux.
> At the moment I have experience with Ubuntu but not PCLinuxOS.
> Is there anything that would give PCLinuxOS the edge over Ubuntu for
> this migration?
> Or vice-versa?

Reasons I use PCLinuxOS:

1. It starts out with KDE - I like the konsole tabs better than Gnome
Terminal's - just a personal preference from long association.  I'm
often ssh'ed into several servers at once, and the tabs are handy.

2. The MiniMe PCLinuxOS works well on an old 512MB flash drive, and I
can use it to build rpms for the Linux/Oracle servers I have in a
hospital - then when I shut down the system I booted off the flash drive
there are no HIPAA encrusted files left to dispose of.

3. Makes a nice, compact guest os in VMware, when I have to boot windows
to run a wireless firewall client.

4. Even the flash drive based MiniMe version works with the Intel
wireless card in my laptop without a bunch of configuring.

Reasons I use Ubuntu:

1. I starts with Gnome - for some things, I really like Gnome.  I also
like the default color scheme.

2. It doesn't seem to take as much RAM as rpm based distros like Fedora,
Red Hat, Mandriva, and openSUSE, and works really well on an old laptop
I have at work that only has 512MB RAM and a funky old ATI Radeon
Mobility chip that doesn't seem well supported by any other distro.

3. There's a native Ubuntu TrueCrypt whole disk encryption package that
works well on the laptop in the sentence directly above.

> I run openSUSE 10.3 (and love it) and Ubuntu 7.10.
> Ubuntu is very solid and reliable. I wish openSUSE had updates as fast
> as Ubuntu. They seem to be getting there.
> SuSE 8.2 to openSUSE 10.3 has come a long way on update and repository
> management.
>
> Strangely enough the biggest problem is replacing Outlook Express. My
> sister loves that program. I think it is junk.
> I tried to get her to use Gmail but she loves the Outlook Express
> "look and feel". Go figure.

I've never used Outhouse Express, but one of the things I like about
evolution is that it's easy to tar up the ~/.evolution directory and
move it between machines - I move around a lot between Linux and
Solaris, and evolution works well on both.

Al Castanoli