[SATLUG] General Questions

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Mar 2 13:19:12 CST 2008

arthur nisenfeld wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Background : Just got into Linux recently and know about as little as possible - but also know that I will never return to Mac or Windoze (have both still working).  Purchased an Everex PC with gOS on-line, primarily to replace my aging WIN 98 box to use as a cheap Internet client,  but have since  been fascinated with the flexibility and amount of software available and the ease with which it is obtained.
> gOS stands for Good Operating System and is based on Ubuntu 7.10 and Enlightenment  17  I believe.   It is slanted towards using Google and Google Applications on the Internet - something I wanted for the intended purpose.
>
> Questions:  Anyone out there using gOS 1.01 longer than a few weeks like me?
>
>                            Can you use applications written for GNOME, KDE, or other GUI                                        environments in whatever environment currently part of your system, or do                       you need to use that specific GNOME, KDE? (don't wish to get involved too                       much with the terminal yet.)

can't comment on your specifics except installing new applications. If
you stick with System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager and if the
program is listed then the manager will include what is needed from the
repository and it works really cool.
Perhaps someone else can tell you how to find the launcher if it does
not show up in Applications, I need to know also.
herb 'also noob'