[SATLUG] New Laptop

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:15:14 CST 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 08:22:43 Daniel J. Givens wrote:
> phn1x wrote:
> > But.... Ubuntu works with everything!
> >
> > How does it hold up to Slackware, or Freebsd? This is why i'm ticket off.
> > My Acer works just fine, no problems with Ubuntu. As does Every other
> > computer... But when you start loading other distro's, it get's messy :/
>
> Ubuntu, Slackware, Mandriva, Fedora, Gentoo... they all run the Linux
> kernel. If one distro works on a system, they can all work on that
> system. Distro A might have some third party patches applied that distro
> B doesn't or it might have a newer version of the kernel, but this is
> all open source stuff. If you're having problem with hardware that works
> on one distro and not on another, blame your distro and either look at
> submitting a bug and fix or move to another distro that does work
> out-of-the-box.
>
> As for FreeBSD, it's not Linux, has an entirely different kernel and
> hardware support differs. If you've absolutely got to have it and it
> doesn't run on your hardware, you could always run it under [Insert
> Virtualization Product of Choice] on Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

I agree with Daniel. I tried several different Kubuntu live CDs on my desktop
machine and they did not work well at all. Since I am a KDE user is why I
tried Kubuntu. All of the versions I tried had problems bringing up X, and
when X did come up there were problems with monitor refresh... so I gave up.
Mandriva/Mandrake has worked extremely well for my machines since 2002, with
all hardware working and great success with various 3D games. I'm sticking
with Mandriva despite others claiming either that Ubuntu is the 'only' distro
to use or that it 'works with everything'.