[SATLUG] .xsession-errors

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:47:46 CST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:15 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> I was transferring some file from one box to another and I turned view
>  hidden files on.  I then noticed this "?" file, .xsession-errors I
>  opened it and read the report and I have no idea what it means, I don't
>  observe anything wrong with this box working, seems normal. Can someone
>  advise me what to do and please where to start if I need to learn
>  something here? Here is the first of and the end: (I can run whatever
>  term-commands I should if it needs something done.) I went to...
>  http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html  ...  but I don't understand.
>  Thanks IA, herb
>  Start:
>  (process:5131): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid
>  or setgid.
>  This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
>  program instead. For further details, see:
>
>     http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
>  Refusing to initialize GTK+.
>
>  (process:5135): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid
>  or setgid.
>  This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
>  program instead. For further details, see:
>
>     http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
>
>  Refusing to initialize GTK+.
>  /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
>  SESSION_MANAGER=local/Celf:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5128
>  Checking for Xgl: not present.
>  Initializing gnome-mount extension
>  Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 1002:474d (rev 27) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>  Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
>  Checking for non power of two support: present.
>  Checking for Composite extension: present.
>  Comparing resolution (1152x864) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
>  Checking for nVidia: not present.
>  Checking for FBConfig: present.
>  Checking for Xgl: not present.
>  Starting gtk-window-decorator
>  ** Message: Not starting remote desktop server
>

>  Tracker version 0.6.3 Copyright (c) 2005-2007 by Jamie McCracken
>  (jamiemcc at gnome.org)
>
>  This program is free software and comes without any warranty.
>  It is licensed under version 2 or later of the General Public License
>  which can be viewed at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
>
>  Initialising tracker...
>  Could not set idle IO priority...attempting best effort 7 priority
>  /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth,
>  this isn't going to work.
>  /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
>  /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on
>  display :0.0
>  Throttle level is 0
>  Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file
>  /home/herb/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms: Failed to open file
>  '/home/herb/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms': No such file or directory
>  evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Setting timeout for 20921 1204416000
>  1204395079
>  <snip>
> [...]

herb,

The ".xsession-errors" is a good one to know about if you are having
xsession errors.
Otherwise I recommend just ignoring it. I have tried several times
over the years to have an empty or blank .xsession-errors file.
It might stay empty or blank until the next reboot and then it starts
with new errors uncovered by fixing the old errors.
Or you do updates and things are out of sync again.
It is very useful and a good place to start looking for a real "X"
problem. If you have one.

The short answer is that most of these errors are generated because of
the newer "xorg" code and the original core "X" code that no one wants
to re-write. They do fix all the "Fatal" and "Severe" errors. The
"Warning" and "Informational" errors are left to posterity.