[SATLUG] XCSSA Pre-GPG Keysigning Party "To-Do Steps" (if you want your key signed March 17th)

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:41:07 CST 2008

David Kowis wrote:
> Quoting ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com>:
>> This a great response, and I've saved the web site for later perusal,
>> but it doesn't address my primary questions:
>> 1. Once I've generated a key-pair (and I have...), how do I find the
>> fingerprint, aside from the screen shot I saved?
> gpg --fingerprint [email or key-id]
Hmm. Ok.  I used the command "gpg --fingerprint", but without any
modifiers, and got a host of other keys besides my own.  Mine's at the
tail-end.  How might I have wound up with these other keys? Are they
>> 2. Do I need to do a separate key-pair/fingerprint for each email
>> address I use?
> Nope. You can add multiple email addresses to the key. I don't recall
> how to do it, so i'd say look at the manpage (RTFM, it's what I do :P)
Crazy noob questions:  I'm in the MAN pages, and found edit-key adduid.
The command "gpg --edit-key adduid" only takes me back to a root command
prompt.  What am I missing?  I've also tried adding a full uid behind
the command, and still get sent back to the command prompt.  The main
key and fingerprint are still there, but no additional uids show up...
:(  Help?   (I have 3 terminals open to do/see all of this...)

Also, below that command is the further command "addphoto".  Would it be
worthwhile to add one to an already large key?  What would be the
>> 3. Since I can't make the signing party due to teaching commitments, how
>> can I get them signed?
> You'll have to work out that with someone. Usually you'd have to meet
> with the people. The point of the party is to entice people to come
> with pizza and socialization ;D
I could wish, but I'm teaching that night, and, I think, neither the
students nor my boss would approve of my ditching class for this.  I
could wish...
>>> 4. What then?
>> You can use the key to sign your mails to the satlug mailing list :D
Touche!  And thanks to all who've commented on my plight.  Your help is
greatly appreciated.