[SATLUG] XCSSA Pre-GPG Keysigning Party "To-Do Steps" (if you want your key signed March 17th)

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Mon Mar 3 13:12:04 CST 2008

Quoting ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com>:

> David Kowis wrote:
>> Quoting ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This a great response, and I've saved the web site for later perusal,
>>> but it doesn't address my primary questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Once I've generated a key-pair (and I have...), how do I find the
>>> fingerprint, aside from the screen shot I saved?
>>
>> gpg --fingerprint [email or key-id]
> Hmm. Ok.  I used the command "gpg --fingerprint", but without any
> modifiers, and got a host of other keys besides my own.  Mine's at the
> tail-end.  How might I have wound up with these other keys? Are they
> important?

I believe you're missing the keyid or email address
gpg --fingerprint dkowis at shlrm.org would show you the fingerprint for
my key. Not specifying the keyid shows the fingerpritns for all the
public keys that you have. Those other public keys are needed to
verify the signatures made by other people. I reccomend reading up on
the concept of Public Key Infrastructure. It's how GPG works.

>>> 2. Do I need to do a separate key-pair/fingerprint for each email
>>> address I use?
>>
>> Nope. You can add multiple email addresses to the key. I don't recall
>> how to do it, so i'd say look at the manpage (RTFM, it's what I do :P)
> Crazy noob questions:  I'm in the MAN pages, and found edit-key adduid.
> The command "gpg --edit-key adduid" only takes me back to a root command
> prompt.  What am I missing?  I've also tried adding a full uid behind
> the command, and still get sent back to the command prompt.  The main
> key and fingerprint are still there, but no additional uids show up...
> :(  Help?   (I have 3 terminals open to do/see all of this...)

I believe you need to specify the keyid for the key you want to edit.

gpg --edit-key dkowis at shlrm.org

then you can add emails to it.

> Also, below that command is the further command "addphoto".  Would it be
> worthwhile to add one to an already large key?  What would be the
> benefits/drawbacks?

The key probably isn't too large. I've never added a photo, so

--
David Kowis