[SATLUG] XCSSA Pre-GPG Keysigning Party "To-Do Steps" (if you want your key signed March 17th)

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:26:37 CST 2008

David Kowis wrote:
> Quoting ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com>:
>> David Kowis wrote:
>>> gpg --fingerprint [email or key-id]
>> Hmm. Ok.  I used the command "gpg --fingerprint", but without any
>> modifiers, and got a host of other keys besides my own.  Mine's at the
>> tail-end.  How might I have wound up with these other keys? Are they
>> important?
> I believe you're missing the keyid or email address
> gpg --fingerprint dkowis at shlrm.org would show you the fingerprint for
> my key. Not specifying the keyid shows the fingerpritns for all the
> public keys that you have. Those other public keys are needed to
> verify the signatures made by other people. I reccomend reading up on
> the concept of Public Key Infrastructure. It's how GPG works.
>>> Nope. You can add multiple email addresses to the key. I don't recall
>>> how to do it, so i'd say look at the manpage (RTFM, it's what I do :P)
>> Crazy noob questions:  I'm in the MAN pages, and found edit-key adduid.
>> The command "gpg --edit-key adduid" only takes me back to a root command
>> prompt.  What am I missing?  I've also tried adding a full uid behind
>> the command, and still get sent back to the command prompt.  The main
>> key and fingerprint are still there, but no additional uids show up...
>> :(  Help?   (I have 3 terminals open to do/see all of this...)
> I believe you need to specify the keyid for the key you want to edit.
> gpg --edit-key dkowis at shlrm.org  --  then you can add emails to it.
Strangely enough, I stumbled into the interactive command structure
about as soon as I sent off this response.  So now, I have all my email
addresses included in my key/fingerprint -- at least, they show up when
I do a gpg fingerprint [email] in a terminal.  What next?
>> Also, below that command is the further command "addphoto".  Would it be
>> worthwhile to add one to an already large key?  What would be the
>> benefits/drawbacks?
> The key probably isn't too large. I've never added a photo, so
Actually, I think I'll pass on this one.  My signature is likely large