[SATLUG] podcast saving to file

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:58:35 CST 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to capture the output of a podcast from the command line,
>  but am not sure how to capture the stream to a file I can play back later.
>  I can open the link in firefox and play it on my computer, but there is no
>  option to capture the podcast as a file, although the entire stream according
>  to the application is buffered on the playing application. How do I do that?

If Firefox was able to open it, try copying the URL and pasting it to mplayer:

mplayer -vo null -ao pcm http://some.url.com/podcast

If that doesn't work try adding the '-playlist' option after -ao pcm

Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility
Phone: (210) 567-2672