[SATLUG] MS Sharepoint Services - Open Source Alternative

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:58:31 CDT 2008

And, if you want to run a completely open source setup, run it under
LAMP, and deliver all your centralized services and office applications
across the Apache portion.

(In case you missed my Present/PowerPoint demo at the LOCC Computer
Show, I used my PAC/USAF Windoze Sharepoint presentation as the demo for
both Windoze Vista and Linux Ubuntu -- created in Present under Linux
and run on both.  Be sure to use Present in lieu of PowerPoint!)

The problems I see at the moment are browser flexibility in an intra-net
mash-up environment, the actual inclusion of a wiki, and whether or not
the Evolution or Thunderbird email clients will share calendars and
suspenses in a distributed environment.

Sharepoint users are given the flexibility to create their own "My
Sites" and other sub-sites on-the-fly under their parent organization
sites, with their own document, image and streaming media repositories.
I think Firefox is too loose, and Opera too tight.  And, I don't have
enough experience with Konqueror.

Cheers
Ed/the0wl