[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sat Mar 15 19:48:17 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> country wrote:
>
>> hahah well, I've been around UNIX and Linux since about 88, and love it,
>> hahahaha, have grown with it..
>>

> All I can say is that it is really hard to have been around Linux since
> 88.  However, I know what you mean.

indeed...

===quoted text====
*Linux (commonly pronounced IPA: /?l?n?ks/ in English; variants
exist[1]) is a Unix-like computer operating system. Linux is one of the
most prominent examples of free software and open source development:
typically all underlying source code can be freely modified, used, and
redistributed by anyone.[2]

The name "Linux" comes from the Linux kernel, started in *1991* by Linus
Torvalds. The system's utilities and libraries usually come from the GNU
operating system, announced in 1983 by Richard Stallman. The GNU
contribution is the basis for the alternative name GNU/Linux.[3]

Predominantly known for its use in servers, Linux is supported by
corporations such as Dell, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Novell, Oracle
Corporation, Red Hat, and Sun Microsystems. It is used as an operating
system for a wide variety of computer hardware, including desktop
computers, supercomputers,[4] video game systems, such as the
PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, several arcade games, and embedded
devices such as mobile phones, routers, and stage lighting systems.
====quoted text====
*
-Geoff