[SATLUG] Christmas wish list

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Mar 15 21:09:52 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Is it to early?  ;-)
>
> I want one of these...  about what am I looking at here, cost-wise?
>
> (quote wholesale dollars, please... that's about what I'll be spending)

Not wholesale, but close to it...

> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

$154.99 w/ Free 3-day UPS

By Christmas, you'll get it for less, but for this price point, you'll
be able to get something better by then as well. Unless you're wanting
to build a budget system, I would suggest Intel. I couldn't be happier
with mine.

daniel at ender:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6700  @ 2.66GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 3000.000
processor       : 3

Yes, quad-core and I've got it overclocked from 2.66Ghz to 3.0Ghz. The
Q6600 is running $249.99 on Newegg. Mine is at $539.99. I've heard
that's it's pretty easy to overclock the Q6600 to 3.0Ghz as well.