[SATLUG] Puppy Linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Mar 16 23:37:51 CDT 2008

On 3/16/08, Geoff wrote:

>  I ran QuickBBS and SuperBBS.. and then there was something else, but I
>  don't remember, now.  That's been 10 years ago, and by golly... I had
>  that thing up for 10 years.

I didn't run any BBSes, but I sure used my share of them.

The ISP I have today that does hosting for my vanity domain started
out as the one of the largest BBSes in the world, and later expanded
into running an honest-to-goodness ISP.  I first signed up for
service with them in the late 80s/early 90s, and continue to use them
to this day.

>                               That means I've been behind a keyboard for
>  25 years, come this October.

I first started playing & working on computers about 1980, owned a
computer myself in 1982 (that summer, my parents bought me a
Commodore Vic-20), and I've been behind a keyboard ever since.
That's 28 years, for those of you who are counting.

The funny thing is that I work with some guys at UT Austin who've
been employed in this field for over thirty years.  They remember
doing some things I've only ever heard about, and they're still going.

I've been a professional Unix system administrator since 1989 (that's
nineteen years), and I've been around long enough that I'm used to
being the "greybeard" of whatever place I walk into.  Heck, at Skynet
I was the fourth-oldest person in the company, and the oldest guy was
only two or three years older than I was -- he was the General
Manager at the time, and years before he had been the General Manager
for Apple Europe.

I don't know how many years Clyde has before he retires, but I am by
no means the youngest person in our group at UT Austin.

>  ....where's my cane...
>  ;-)

Don't laugh.  For reasons that are not primarily due to age (so far
as I know), my knees aren't in the best of shape and sometimes I do
need a cane.  We have several in the house, in part because my wife
has knee problems more severe than mine and after her surgery it was
difficult for her to get around for a while.